Can my ex-husband stay on my insurance?

My ex-husband and I are still on the same insurance policy. He no longer lives with me, but pays me for his half of the insurance. Is this allowed?

“If your ex-husband no longer resides in the same household as you, he will have to get his own car insurance.
Car insurance companies require that anyone on an insurance policy resides at the policy address. If your ex-husband lives elsewhere, he has to get his own insurance policy.
As insurance companies use address as a rating factor, his rate won’t be accurate if he lives in a different location. Claims could also be denied if they discover his vehicle is not garaged where the policy says it is as this could be considered insurance fraud.
To avoid a cancellation, you’ll want to remove him from the policy and reach out to your car insurance company. They can provide you any additional information and the terms and conditions surrounding your policy.
Once you remove your ex-husband from your policy, you should also consider shopping around for new insurance. As every carrier rates differently, you may be able to find a better rate with another company with you as the sole policyholder. Use the Jerry app to compare rates from over 50 car insurance providers to find the best rate possible.”
Emily Maracle
Answered on Sep 10, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free