Can my cosigner live out of state?

I recently moved out of state to go to grad school. I need a car to get to my internship. I have no credit and no income, but my dad said he'd cosign for me. Can my cosigner live out of state?

Yes, the cosigner of your car loan can live out of state! As long as your dad is creditworthy and qualifies to cosign, where he lives is irrelevant.
The only slight caveat is that some lenders may require him to sign the loan in person, but this isn’t always the case. The good news is that you can take this as a chance to hang out with your pops! It’s a win-win.
If you’re approved for the loan, don’t forget about car insurance. The lender will require full coverage, which can be pricey—so prepare for that! Use the Jerry app to compare rates from dozens of providers to get the best deal.
Eric Schad
Answered on Nov 15, 2021
Eric Schad has been a freelance writer for nearly a decade, as well as an SEO specialist and editor for the past five years. Before getting behind the keyboard, he worked in the finance and music industries (the perfect combo). With a wide array of professional and personal experiences, he’s developed a knack for tone and branding across many different verticals. Away from the computer, Schad is a blues guitar shredder, crazed sports fan, and always down for a spontaneous trip anywhere around the globe.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Let Jerry’s experts help you find savings on your car insurance!
No long forms or spam · Get quotes from 40+ carriers
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
rating primary
4.7/5 Rating on App Store