Can my child insure our car in a different state?

Will we be able to keep the car on our policy while it is driven in another state? Our youngest daughter will be going to college out of state in Nebraska. We currently live in Virginia and plan on letting her take one of our cars to school.

“Yes, since your daughter is a student, she can keep the vehicle with her at school and remain on your policy. In most cases, you will need to create a second policy for that vehicle.
Every state has different coverage requirements and rating factors.
The vehicles will be rated at the garaging address. In this case, one car will be garaged in Nebraska and one in Virginia.
Companies like GEICO and The Hartford are very familiar with these types of spin-off policies.
Get in touch with your company and let them know the situation. They will create a duplicate policy for Nebraska under your name, but only your daughter will be listed as an active driver. On the Virginia policy, she would be listed as a non-driver since she is covered on the other policy.
You would continue with two policies until school is completed and the car is back home.”
Shannon Martin
Answered on Jul 12, 2021
Shannon is an expert in personal lines liability insurance with 13 + years of insurance industry experience. She also served as a special insurance liaison to AARP members for 6 of those years. She is a graduate of UL Lafayette and currently resides in NY with her family. Shannon is also an amateur juggler, ukulele player, and is a time travel paradox theory enthusiast.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies