Can my brother use his uninsured motorist property damage for medical bills after a not-at-fault accident?

My brother's uninsured motorist bodily injury limit is $25,000. He has $30,000 in medical bills. He also has uninsured motorist property damage coverage of $25,000. His car has $15,000 worth of damages. Can he use the property damage coverage for the rest of his medical bills?

“Unfortunately, with car insurance, there isn’t much flexibility when it comes to coverage. Bodily injury can only be used for medical expenses and property damage can only be used to repair vehicles.
Since your brother’s uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage maxes out at $25,000, that’s all that his insurance company will pay for. They won’t allow him to take any unused property damage coverage and apply it towards his medical bills.
If he wanted to try to recover more money for his medical bills, he’d most likely need to consult a lawyer about pursuing the uninsured driver for any additional pain, suffering, or medical costs. “
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 10, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.