Can I use my U.S. car insurance in Canada?

I'm going to be driving through Canada soon. I have U.S. car insurance, is that enough? Do I need to get a different type of policy while driving there?

“If you’re insured by a major national car insurance chain, you’re likely covered in Canada.
When you enter Canada with a vehicle, border agents will require a few documents for entry. If you are a tourist, you’ll need:
The Canadian Non-Resident Inter-provincial Motor Vehicle Liability Card is also highly recommended, as some borders and customer agents will specifically ask for this document. Contact your insurance company to find out how to obtain one.
Keep in mind that state minimum car insurance in the U.S. is substantially lower than Canada’s liability minimums. That’s what makes your Canadian Non-Resident Inter-provincial Motor Vehicle Liability Card so important. This verifies that you meet the Canadian liability coverage limits, which are often $200,000 or more for uninsured/underinsured motorist, property damage, and bodily injury.
If you need more insurance coverage before you head off to the Great White North, use the Jerry app to help you compare rates in under a minute.”
Emily Maracle
Answered on Jul 30, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free