Can I use my homeowners insurance to update my electrical wiring?

I purchased a home built in 1922. No one updated the wiring, so it's all knob and tube. It's a fire hazard based on its age. Can I submit a claim for the upgrades?

“Unless a fire or other event damages your home and requires your electrical wiring to be updated, you wouldn’t be able to submit a claim to your insurance.
You were aware of the condition of your home and certified that on your insurance application. Similar to car insurance or health insurance, you aren’t able to claim damage for a pre-existing condition.
Home insurance is also very specific about what is covered for electrical issues. Even if the damage was from the outdated wiring, your insurance may still deny the claim.
If you’re concerned about the damage it may cause, you should speak with your insurance company. While they likely won’t provide coverage, you can get a better idea of what is covered.
If the wiring is a safety hazard, you’ll also want to find an electrician as soon as possible. Addressing the issues will protect both you and your home. It will also ensure your home insurance does not cancel for lack of maintenance or neglect.
And if you’re wondering, the average cost of replacing knob and tube wiring in a two-story home is about $5,000 to $9,000.
If you need some cash to replace the knob and tube wiring in your home, refinancing your car loan or shopping for car insurance is a good start. Shop the Jerry app today to find over 50 quotes and save the extra money needed for your home repairs.”
Emily Maracle
Answered on Sep 09, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.