Can I take out a car loan and register the car in my spouse's name?

My spouse needs a car, but we can't afford to buy one without a loan. Can I take out the loan and then register the car in my spouse's name?

Johnny Puckett · Updated on
Reviewed by Shannon Martin, Licensed Insurance Agent.
No, a financed car must be registered in the primary borrower’s name. So, either you would need to register the car in your own name, or your spouse would need to take out the loan instead. 
The only way that you could be on the loan and not on the registration is if you were to
for your spouse:
  • A cosigner is someone who gives their endorsement on a car loan for the primary borrower—and they’re held accountable if the primary borrower defaults on the payments. 
  • If you you have better credit history than your spouse, co-signing on the loan could be enough to get your spouse approved as the primary borrower. 
  • Co-signers can also potentially be
    removed from the loan in the future
    , so it doesn’t have to be a permanent fix. 
Pro tip: Whether you decide to register the car in your name or your spouse’s name, make sure to shop around with multiple lenders to find the best terms on a loan.
View full answer 
Jerry partners with more than 50 insurance companies, but our content is independently researched, written, and fact-checked by our team of editors and agents. We aren’t paid for reviews or other content.

Join 4M+ members in lowering their car insurance

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings