Can I sell a car with an out-of-state title?

My car is registered in California, but I have a title from Nevada. Can I still sell it here?

“You should be able to sell a car in the state of California with an out-of-state title. You’ll simply need to hand over the title to the new owner so that they can begin the transfer process with the DMV.
The new buyer will also need to register the car in their name and purchase valid car insurance in the state of California.
Be sure to inform your current insurance company that you sold the car so you will not be held financially responsible for any potential accidents by the new owner.
If you plan to get another car, you will also have to purchase car insurance. A great way to find the best deal for you is to use a tool like Jerry—we’ll find you free quotes from multiple providers, so you can get the best savings on the coverage you need.”
Sophie Newman
Answered on Aug 18, 2021
Sophie Newman is a writer from California. Her hobbies include brewing her own kombucha, riding horses, and taking long road trips.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Let Jerry’s experts help you find savings on your car insurance!
No long forms or spam · Get quotes from 40+ carriers
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
rating primary
4.7/5 Rating on App Store