Can I return my car to the dealer if I can't pay my loan?

A family emergency came up and I can't pay for my car anymore. Can I return the car to the dealer?

“The dealer isn’t the correct party to give the car to. If you want to do a voluntary repossession, you’ll have to give the keys to the lender or whoever holds the lien to your car.
Keep in mind that even a voluntary repo will hurt your credit score—it may drop by 100 points or more.
Call your lender and tell them of your situation. They may be willing to work with you on a payment plan.”
Eric Schad
Answered on May 05, 2021
Eric Schad has been a freelance writer for nearly a decade, as well as an SEO specialist and editor for the past five years. Before getting behind the keyboard, he worked in the finance and music industries (the perfect combo). With a wide array of professional and personal experiences, he’s developed a knack for tone and branding across many different verticals. Away from the computer, Schad is a blues guitar shredder, crazed sports fan, and always down for a spontaneous trip anywhere around the globe.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free