Can I register a car in Indiana with expired Ohio tags?

I have been living in the state for about seven months but haven't registered my car here yet. I do have an Indiana driver's license.

“Generally speaking, you should register your car in the state where you’ve established residency. If you have resided in Indiana for seven months, that should be long enough to establish residency and you should be able to register and purchase car insurance for your vehicle in the state.
To register your vehicle, Indiana requires that:
  • you have an Indiana title.
  • you have proof of residency in Indiana (bank statement, computer-generated bill, pre-printed paystub).
Once you have your car registered in Indiana, it’s time to shop for a new car insurance policy that meets the state’s minimum insurance requirements.
The best way to find the coverage you want for the lowest rates is to shop around with multiple companies. If you want to leave the hard work of pulling quotes to someone else, try using the free Jerry app. Jerry compares rates from the top 50 companies and delivers the best deals to your phone in minutes. Jerry will even help fill out the transfer paperwork for you, so you can focus on your new life in Indiana.”
Sophie Newman
Answered on Aug 18, 2021
Sophie Newman is a writer from California. Her hobbies include brewing her own kombucha, riding horses, and taking long road trips.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Let Jerry’s experts help you find savings on your car insurance!
No long forms or spam · Get quotes from 40+ carriers
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
4.7/5 Rating on App Store