Can I purchase American car insurance if my truck is registered in Mexico?

"I want to go with an American company, but I live in Mexico for most of the year. I want to keep the vehicle registered there."

“Unfortunately, no. Car insurance is regulated in the US at the state level and in Mexico at the federal level, and you need to purchase insurance within your jurisdiction.
You’ll need to purchase car insurance from a licensed Mexican carrier if you want to keep your car registered there.”
Sophie Newman
Answered on Jul 26, 2021
Sophie Newman is a writer from California. Her hobbies include brewing her own kombucha, riding horses, and taking long road trips.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free