Can I list my son on my car insurance policy only during certain times?

My son is away at college and we are selling his vehicle. I would like to remove him from our policy, but the insurance company has said that we are required to list him as a household member. I do need him to still be covered during school breaks when he is home, so I don't want to exclude him. Is there a way to do this while saving money?

Answer provided by
Emily Maracle
Answered on Apr 20, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.
“You can reach out to your current carrier to find out if they have an option to list a driver as living away from the household with no vehicle. You could also see if they have an option for students. By adjusting the status of the driver, you may be able to save money on your car insurance while ensuring your son is still covered when at home.
Every carrier has different terms and conditions. If your insurance carrier doesn’t offer this type of status for a driver, you can reach out to other carriers in your area. They may be able to provide a lower premium without excluding someone from coverage when it’s needed. “

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies