Can I keep my insurance as a college student?

My car is registered in Florida but I'm in Alabama for school. Can I keep my registration and insurance in another state?

“Although car insurance laws vary by state, companies will generally be understanding of your situation if you’re a student going to school out-of-state.
If you intend to keep your permanent residence in Florida, you can likely keep your registration and car insurance in that state while you’re in school. Your car insurance should cover when out-of-state for temporary periods of time, but if you intend to become a resident of Alabama, you’ll need to switch both your registration and insurance.
Be sure to talk to your current car insurance company to inform them you’re going away for school. They can make any necessary changes to your policy. It might be worth adding extra coverage to your policy. Since you’ll be away for home, it’s nice to have that extra peace of mind that more coverage offers.
If you want to look into more coverage, like comprehensive or collision, try the free Jerry app. Jerry compares rates from the top providers and delivers the best deals to your phone. They’ll even help you figure out if you qualify for a good-student discount, so keep those grades up!”
Sophie Newman
Answered on Aug 18, 2021
Sophie Newman is a writer from California. Her hobbies include brewing her own kombucha, riding horses, and taking long road trips.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.