Can I keep my car after the car insurance company says it's a total loss?

Do I have to give the vehicle to the insurance company when they give me the check? I was in a car accident and the car insurance company deemed it a total loss. My question is, can I keep the vehicle?

Answer provided by
Eric Schad
Answered on Jul 21, 2021
Eric Schad has been a freelance writer for nearly a decade, as well as an SEO specialist and editor for the past five years. Before getting behind the keyboard, he worked in the finance and music industries (the perfect combo). With a wide array of professional and personal experiences, he’s developed a knack for tone and branding across many different verticals. Away from the computer, Schad is a blues guitar shredder, crazed sports fan, and always down for a spontaneous trip anywhere around the globe.
“In most cases, the car is given a salvage title, handed over to the insurance company, and they sell it at auction to recoup some of their money.
If you contact them ahead of time, you may be able to hold onto the car.
The check you get will be the actual cash value before the accident minus the salvage value.
You might also have to pay for towing to your location of choice.
But if you’re a gearhead or you want extra parts, it’s not always a bad move to keep the car with a salvage title.”

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies