Can I keep my car after it's marked a total loss?

My uncle is a mechanic and says he can fix my car for $1,500. It's worth $7,000 right now. I do have gap insurance so my car would be paid off. Can I ask to keep my vehicle?

“You’ll have to negotiate with your car insurance company to see if they will allow you to keep your vehicle. If they do, you typically won’t receive the same payout as you would if they deemed it a total loss.
You should also check in with your gap insurance company to ensure that they will still cover the difference if you keep your vehicle. There could be stipulations in your policy that prevent you from making a claim if you decide to keep your vehicle. “
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 03, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies