Can I insure someone if they live in another state?

My sister and I have been on the same insurance policy for a while, but she’s moving out of state for school. She won’t have much work out there, so I want to pay for her car insurance so she can at least drive. Can I add someone to my car insurance policy if they’re not in the same state?

Sophie Newman · Updated on
Reviewed by Shannon Martin, Licensed Insurance Agent.
An insurance provider may allow you to add a driver to your policy who isn’t in your home, but it depends on the insurance provider and your state’s insurance code.
In general, most insurance providers require a car to be registered and insured in the same state it’s driven in. Most state DMVs require that the vehicle be registered in the same state as reflected on their driver's license.
Before adding someone to your insurance policy, you must prove that you have some insurable interest in the vehicle. If two drivers live in different states, this will be hard to prove, and you will likely need different insurance policies.
Your sister’s insurance company would have to agree to have someone other than the named insured financially responsible for the policy.
If you really need to insure the car, you may want to ask your sister to transfer the
to you, but you’ll probably have a better chance of getting insurance on her behalf.
View full answer 
Jerry partners with more than 50 insurance companies, but our content is independently researched, written, and fact-checked by our team of editors and agents. We aren’t paid for reviews or other content.

Join 4M+ members in lowering their car insurance

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings