"Can I insure my car in my home state if I am temporarily living in another? "

"I am stationed in Florida, but I still consider myself a resident of Georgia. I own my home there, my car is registered there, and I get most of my mail there as well. The law is a bit unclear to me about whether I should insure my car in Florida or if I can keep my current Georgia car insurance.


Answer provided by
Johnny Puckett
Answered on Apr 19, 2021
Johnny Puckett is a freelance writer and automotive expert. He has contributed content to a number of some of the largest online publications, aftermarket automotive manufacturers’ sites, and automotive informational sites. His experience in the automotive and information fields informs his writing at Jerry. His automotive interests bleed into his free time, where he enjoys modifying his favorite cars and woodworking.
“Insurance requirements are different in each state, and so is the risk to the insurance company. You are required to update your insurance so your policy accurately reflects the state in which the car is kept the most.
While your insurance provider may not catch this move from Georgia to Florida initially—after all, they don’t have a tracker on your car—they will catch on if you get in an accident. This will leave you holding the bill for the damages, as the company will deny you coverage for not updating your state of residence.
It is better to just bite the bullet now and give your car insurance company a call. This will save you trouble in the long run.”

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies