Can I get car insurance on a vehicle that's registered to someone else in New Hampshire?

I've been borrowing my friend's car while she's out of town and I want to purchase insurance for it but the title's in her name. What are my options?

Answer provided by
Sophie Newman
Answered on Jun 17, 2021
Sophie Newman is a writer from California. Her hobbies include brewing her own kombucha, riding horses, and taking long road trips.
“Yes, you could purchase your own car insurance policy for a car registered in your friend’s name but you should only do so with your friend’s consent and knowledge. A non-owners car insurance policy might be a good fit since it covers your liability if you borrow a car frequently but don’t own the title.
Keep in mind that if the vehicle is registered in your friend’s name, most states will require that she also hold an insurance policy and she will be liable in the event of an accident.”

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies