Can I file an auto insurance claim a couple of years after the accident happened?

I want to trade in my car, but it was damaged in an accident a couple of years ago where the other driver offered to pay out of pocket but never did. Can I file an uninsured motorist claim to fix my car before I trade it in?

“Unfortunately, you probably won’t be able to file a claim under uninsured motorist property damage coverage without having the information for the other party and confirmation that they were uninsured on the date of the accident.
Furthermore, filing a claim that long after an accident is a big red flag to an insurance company and they are going to investigate the claim vigorously.
If you had collision coverage on the date of the accident, you may be able to use that coverage, but it may not pay for all of the repairs if the damage has become worse over time.
You could attempt to file a claim through the other person’s insurance company, but they are going to investigate as well, and they may deny the claim unless you have a police report and estimates from the time of the accident.”
Shannon Martin
Answered on May 13, 2021
Shannon is an expert in personal lines liability insurance with 13 + years of insurance industry experience. She also served as a special insurance liaison to AARP members for 6 of those years. She is a graduate of UL Lafayette and currently resides in NY with her family. Shannon is also an amateur juggler, ukulele player, and is a time travel paradox theory enthusiast.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free