Can I cancel my current auto insurance policy and just use the coverage from my credit card company while I travel?

I will be traveling for the next six months and using a rental car for most of that time. Since Visa will offer collision coverage, can I just cancel my regular insurance policy?

“You will want to check with Visa and your current insurance carrier before you cancel anything.
Visa will only provide collision coverage for your rental car, not liability coverage, and that is what is needed for the car to be driven legally. You can get liability coverage if you purchase rental car insurance.
Most insurance carriers will extend the liability insurance from your current auto policy to your rental car. Since you will be renting for such a long time, I suggest you speak with your insurer about how you will be using the rental. They may have time and usage stipulations.
Once you have a little more information, you will know if you should cancel your policy or not. “
Shannon Martin
Answered on May 06, 2021
Shannon is an expert in personal lines liability insurance with 13 + years of insurance industry experience. She also served as a special insurance liaison to AARP members for 6 of those years. She is a graduate of UL Lafayette and currently resides in NY with her family. Shannon is also an amateur juggler, ukulele player, and is a time travel paradox theory enthusiast.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free