Can I add my fiancée as an additional driver on my New Mexico policy if they don't have their driver's license?

I am licensed and will be the primary driver. My fiancée does not have her license currently, as she is from another country. Is there any carrier in New Mexico that will allow me to add her as an additional driver?

Answer provided by
Emily Maracle
Answered on Apr 21, 2021
“It can be extremely difficult to get insurance without a driver’s license. Since it is illegal to operate a vehicle without a valid driver’s license, carriers will not accept an unlicensed driver as an additional driver.
You would only be able to add your fiancée as a household member since you live together. However, she would be excluded from coverage on the policy.
If your fiancée was licensed in her home country, there are carriers who will accept international licenses. Progressive is one carrier that will allow you to add a driver with an international license to your policy.
Reach out to other carriers in your area to see who accepts international licenses. Comparison shopping will ensure you’re receiving the best rate for the coverage you need. “

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies