Can damage by tenants be claimed under home insurance?

"I'm considering renting out my townhouse. If damage to the house exceeds the renter's security deposit, can it be claimed under my homeowners insurance?


Apr 13, 2021
Answer provided by
Shannon Martin
Answered at Apr 13, 2021
“There are different types of landlord policies, called dwelling policies, that provide different levels of coverage. Damage caused by tenants may or may not be covered, depending on how it occurred and what type of policy you have.
For example, if an accidental fire is the cause, the damage would generally be covered. However, damage as a result of wear and tear would not be covered.
If this is a concern that you have, you should review your policy terms carefully with your agent to ensure that you have the level of coverage you are most comfortable with. “
Home Insurance

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies