Can an international student get a car loan in the United States?

"I'm a Canadian student who attends school in the United States. I don't have a car to bring across the border, but I need one for school and work. Can I get a car loan in the US?"

“In theory, you should be able to get a loan, but it’s going to be a bit trickier and more expensive than if you were a US citizen. To get the loan, you’ll need:
  • Proof of income
  • Your visa
  • Proof of lawful presence
  • Full-coverage car insurance
Some online companies specialize in these types of loans. But keep in mind that if you have a limited credit history, your interest rate is going to be high.”
Eric Schad
Answered on Jul 27, 2021
Eric Schad has been a freelance writer for nearly a decade, as well as an SEO specialist and editor for the past five years. Before getting behind the keyboard, he worked in the finance and music industries (the perfect combo). With a wide array of professional and personal experiences, he’s developed a knack for tone and branding across many different verticals. Away from the computer, Schad is a blues guitar shredder, crazed sports fan, and always down for a spontaneous trip anywhere around the globe.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.