As someone with a home office, can I get home insurance?

I'm a freelance web designer who works out of a home office. Since I run my business from home, am I still eligible for homeowners insurance?

Yes, you are still eligible for home insurance. Having a home office would not make you automatically ineligible for a home policy.
However, you should be aware that home insurance companies are very concerned with how much liability they are taking on when they insure someone. If you have multiple customers visiting the home or if you sell high-risk items out of your home, some carriers could decline the policy.
In addition, most policies have exclusions or limits as to how much business property they will cover. For example, a computer used strictly for your web designs may only be covered up to $500 if it is stolen, while a computer for regular home use may be covered up to its full value.
Honesty is always the best policy. If you have disclosed to your insurance company that you have a web design business in a home office, there is a reasonable likelihood that you will qualify for a home policy.
Jackie Whalen
Answered on Mar 18, 2021
Jackie Whalen has been in the insurance industry for over 7 years, working in sales, service and claims. She has won numerous awards as a top salesperson and customer service agent. She currently lives in New York with her husband. Her 24 year old son recently moved out on his own which has given her more time to travel, write and train her dog Maisy not to chase her cat, Whiskey.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free