Are self-driving cars legal in Michigan?
I’m super interested in the future of self-driving cars in Michigan. My father worked for GM and I currently work for Ford, so I’m thinking our state is at the forefront of the self-driving car revolution. I’m just not sure what the state has to say about it. In Michigan, are self-driving cars legal?
Answer provided by
- Allowed the testing of self-driving vehicles, provided the manufacturer accepts liability
- Limited the liability of self-driving car manufacturers if a customer or owner of the vehicle makes their own modifications
- Allowed operation of a self-driving car without someone behind the wheel
- Made self-driving cars exempt from following-too-closely and tailgating laws
- Permitted self-driving research facilities to test self-driving cars
- Exempted repair shops from liability when attempting to fix self-driving cars