After a bathroom leak, who do I call first — my insurer or a plumber?

A pipe under my bathroom sink has leaked and caused some damage to the floor. Who do I call first in this situation, a plumber or my insurance company?

Asked by Bridgely Apr 22, 2021
Answer provided by
Alexah Grinnell
Answered at Mar 05, 2021
You should call a plumber first so any further damage can be prevented. Once the leak has been stopped and fixed, you can call your insurance company to make a claim so they can assess the damage. Your insurance company may deny the claim if they find that it was a slow leak that caused damage over a substantial period of time, rather than a sudden incident that would have been difficult to prevent.
Home Insurance

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies