What's the difference between property insurance and home insurance?

I've heard these two terms used interchangeably. Is there any difference between them?

Home insurance isn’t the only type of insurance covering property. Property insurance is the general term for the different types of coverage options available.
If you own a condo, you need a HO-6 condo policy, which provides coverage for your individual unit. If you live in an apartment, you need a HO-4 renters policy to cover your personal property and liability. If you are a landlord, you need a policy covering the structure of the home and liability, but you don’t need personal property coverage since you don’t live there.
There is also flood insurance and earthquake insurance, and the list goes on. There is property insurance that provides the appropriate level of protection for every living situation.
Shannon Martin
Answered on Mar 12, 2021
Shannon is an expert in personal lines liability insurance with 13 + years of insurance industry experience. She also served as a special insurance liaison to AARP members for 6 of those years. She is a graduate of UL Lafayette and currently resides in NY with her family. Shannon is also an amateur juggler, ukulele player, and is a time travel paradox theory enthusiast.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Let Jerry’s experts help you find savings on your car insurance!
No long forms or spam · Get quotes from 40+ carriers
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
4.7/5 Rating on App Store