What is a car insurance bond and why might I need one?

I was told that I need to get a car insurance bond. Can you explain what that is to me, and why someone might need to get one?

Thanks for your question! Car insurance bonds can have many different names depending on the state in which you live. They can be called surety bonds or certificates of financial responsibility, but they’re usually referred to as a SR-22. A SR-22 demonstrates to the state that a driver is carrying at least the state-minimum liability coverage. The state can require this document if a person has had a DUI, a DWI, too many at-fault accidents or convictions, or was driving without insurance.
Your insurer will file the SR-22 with the state. There’s a small cost for the filing, usually around $25. The timeframe required to retain a SR-22 is usually three years, but it can be longer or shorter depending on the situation. Once this timeframe has passed, the driver needs to let the insurance company know and they won’t be charged for the SR-22 at the next renewal.
Shannon Martin
Answered on Mar 12, 2021
Shannon is an expert in personal lines liability insurance with 13 + years of insurance industry experience. She also served as a special insurance liaison to AARP members for 6 of those years. She is a graduate of UL Lafayette and currently resides in NY with her family. Shannon is also an amateur juggler, ukulele player, and is a time travel paradox theory enthusiast.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free