What does homeowners insurance cover?
My partner and I are shopping for our first home. Neither of us is well-versed in home insurance. What kind of coverage does it offer?
When most people think of homeowners insurance, they usually think of protection for just the home’s structure itself, but it covers so much more than that! It covers your home, your personal items that fill your home, things built on your property, and your family’s financial future in the event of a lawsuit. A homeowners policy is generally made up of six different categories that are labeled A to F, as follows:
- Coverage A: Damage to the dwelling (the house and anything permanently attached like walls, cabinets, fixtures, etc.)
- Coverage B: Other structures (things like detached garages, sheds, pools, etc.)
- Coverage C: Personal property (your stuff, including clothes, TV, furniture, etc.)
- Coverage D: Additional living expense (pays for hotel bills, food, laundry service, etc., while your home isn’t livable due to a covered loss)
- Coverage E: Personal liability (covers claims in a lawsuit if someone gets hurt on your property)
- Coverage F: Medical payments to others (covers small no-fault expenses if someone gets hurt on your property)
If the unthinkable happens and you lose your home to a covered loss, imagine having to buy everything to start over. From simple things like your clothes and a toothbrush to the more important items like jewelry and electronics — let alone the actual repairs to the home — it can be very expensive and overwhelming to think about. It is crucial to work closely with an agent who understands your property and financial needs so that you and your family are adequately protected.
To learn more about homeowners insurance, check out this article: What Does Home Insurance Coverage Include and Exclude?.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
Will the insurance of my son's landlord cover my medical bills after a bad fall?
"My son recently moved into a new apartment. While I was visiting him there, I slipped on some slippery stairs outside and twisted my ankle. I don't have health insurance. Will the landlord's insurance cover my medical bills? "
Apr 05, 2021
Can a 17-year-old get their own car insurance and title?
I'm 17 years old and my mom's buying me a car. The problem is, she doesn't have a driver's license or car insurance. Can I get my own insurance if I have my mom's permission? Also, can I get a car title in my own name, considering I'm underaged?
Feb 22, 2021
"My house's foundation is damaged from the shifting and settling of the soil around it. Will my home insurance cover this damage? "
Having to pay for the damage myself will wipe out my emergency savings. Any assistance from my insurance company would really help me out.
Apr 05, 2021