Should I pay for accidentally damaging my driving instructor's car?

I was operating my driving instructor's car when I accidentally drove over the curb and hit a light pole. The car suffered some minor damage and there were no injuries. My instructor said he doesn't have full-coverage insurance and he wants me to pay for repairs. Should I pay?

“I’m glad to hear that there were no injuries! I’m sure it was scary!
When it comes to car insurance, the car insurance follows the car.
When someone hits a light pole or something similar, you would need collision insurance to repair the vehicle. Collision usually isn’t mandatory for each state.
If basic liability coverage is all your driving instructor has, then that means his insurance probably only applies to cover the damage of other things, like if you had hit a mailbox or someone else’s car. But it doesn’t cover you or the car. This means someone has to pay out of pocket.
You may want to check and see if there’s any insurance coverage from the company your instructor works for before you pay for the repairs, just in case.
Thankfully no one was injured, but whenever there’s an accident it’s useful to have roadside assistance. Urgently offers Jerry customers a modern roadside assistance membership. Along with traditional benefits, you get Uber-like tracking for the status of your service and the ability to contact your service provider directly. If an accident totals a car and you need it towed, it’s good to know you’re covered.”
Mariah Lee
Answered on Aug 06, 2021

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.