My wife and I are divorcing. I expect to provide spousal support, but am I also required by law to pay for her car insurance?

Am I legally required to pay for my ex-wife's car insurance as part of our divorce settlement? I'm hoping it's enough that I'll be providing general spousal support.

This type of question is best left to your and your wife’s divorce attorneys, but generally speaking, you’ll be required to follow whatever stipulations the judge mandates.
There are a few essential things to consider, which you may want to discuss with your lawyer and your wife, if possible. If you’re in charge of making the direct payments for her policy, she may not be made aware if you’re late on payments, or if you forget to pay for the policy and it cancels altogether.
Any lapse in coverage, especially one that’s unknown, could have serious consequences for everyone involved. She could be hit with tickets, fines, and a license suspension if caught driving without insurance. The policy would cost a lot more when being reinstated, which means you’d end up paying more for it.
On the other hand, even if you’re the one paying for the policy, you have no control over who drives the car, how or where it’s being used, or the limits of coverage on the policy. All of these things could cost you a lot of money down the line. If possible, it’s best for each party to be in charge of their own policy. But again, we’re experts in insurance, not divorce law. Please consult your attorney for advice on this matter.
Shannon Martin
Answered on Mar 12, 2021
Shannon is an expert in personal lines liability insurance with 13 + years of insurance industry experience. She also served as a special insurance liaison to AARP members for 6 of those years. She is a graduate of UL Lafayette and currently resides in NY with her family. Shannon is also an amateur juggler, ukulele player, and is a time travel paradox theory enthusiast.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.