If I want to switch car insurance providers and end my current coverage early, will I get a prorated refund?

I found a way cheaper policy with another carrier, so I want to cancel my old auto insurance policy. But there's a problem — I already paid for the full year with my old carrier. Can I get some of that money back, since I don't actually want to stay with them the whole year?

If you’ve already paid the insurance company either in full or for a month of coverage ahead, you should receive a prorated refund.
An insurance company will refund you any unearned premium, meaning any premium paid to the company that they didn’t use for the period of time they provided coverage.
When switching policies, it’s important to remember to not allow any time gaps in your coverage.
In other words, don’t drive your car if there are a few days between when your old policy was cancelled and when your new policy kicks in. While there shouldn’t be any penalties for switching your insurance provider, always double check before making the change.
Going with a new insurance policy can be a great way to save money, and whenever you decide you’d like to save even more money, get the free Jerry app to find the best deals from 50 top providers!
Jessica Bartolucci
Answered on Aug 05, 2021

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free