I let my friend borrow my car and he got into a minor accident. We both have car insurance. Whose insurance will cover the damages?

Answered by Home Insurance, Car Insurance Expert Alexah on February 22, 2021

When a car is borrowed and the driver gets into an accident, whose insurance kicks in to cover damages? I'm kind of regretting loaning my car to my friend now.

expert avatar


Home Insurance, Car Insurance Expert

Sorry to hear about the accident. Since you let your friend borrow your vehicle and he got into an accident, your insurance policy will cover the damages. Auto insurance typically follows the vehicle, not the driver, so the policy covering the vehicle will be the one to cover the expenses from an accident.

Car Insurance

Have an insurance question?

Our insurance agents are ready to help you, for free.

Ask your question, it’s 100% free
Thousands of customers saved on average $887/year on their car insurance with Jerry
This app is great, but the customer service is even better! Not to mention convenient! My husband and I got the lowest rate (much lower than the rates I was finding online through my own searches), quickly, and pretty much all through text message! Thank you so much for a hassle free experience👍
Gabriella R.
Find savings (100% Free)
4.6/5 Rating on App Store