How much will I get for my stolen SUV?

Answered by Home Insurance, Car Insurance Expert Jackie on December 30, 2020

I have full-coverage insurance for my stolen SUV. I still owe money on it. Will my insurance company offer me enough money to pay off the SUV?

expert avatar


Home Insurance, Car Insurance Expert

I am so sorry to hear that your SUV was stolen. You will need to have gap insurance, aka guaranteed asset protection, on your policy for the insurance company to help pay off your SUV. Gap insurance covers the “gap” or the difference between what you owe on the car and what the car is actually worth.

For example, let’s say you get into an accident and your car is totaled. Your insurance will pay actual cash value for your car. Let’s say it is worth $10,000, but you still owe $2,000 to your bank to pay off your loan. If you do not have gap insurance, you will have to pay the bank out of your own pocket.

Gap insurance is optional; you can buy it from the dealership when you obtain the vehicle or you can purchase the coverage through your auto insurance carrier.

To learn more about gap insurance, check out this article: All About Gap Insurance.

Car Insurance

Have an insurance question?

Our insurance agents are ready to help you, for free.

Ask your question, it’s 100% free
Thousands of customers saved on average $887/year on their car insurance with Jerry
This app is great, but the customer service is even better! Not to mention convenient! My husband and I got the lowest rate (much lower than the rates I was finding online through my own searches), quickly, and pretty much all through text message! Thank you so much for a hassle free experience👍
Gabriella R.
Find savings (100% Free)
stars4.6/5 Rating on App Store