Does homeowners insurance cover a child who attends college out of town?

My son has moved out to attend college. This has me wondering if homeowners insurance covers people like him, a dependent who lives outside the home.

For the answer to this question, it is best to talk with your insurance agent or look over your policy for details. But in most cases, your home insurance can extend some coverage to a dependent away at school.
If your child is renting an apartment, then they’re likely required to buy renters insurance. You should be aware that if their apartment complex requires renters insurance, the building management will not accept a copy of your home insurance policy because it is not specifically covering the dependent at the unit.
Savannah Grabek
Answered on Mar 03, 2021
Savannah Grabek is an expert in Personal Lines insurance. She has 5 years experience in the insurance industry. Savannah began her carrier working with just property insurance and is now tenured in all personal line including home, auto, motorcycle, boat and umbrella. She previously worked for GEICO and has now been working with Jerry insurance for the past year. Savannah lives in New York with her son, fiancé, and puppy Bear. In her free time she enjoys spending quality time with her family and hiking with her dog.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free