Does home insurance cover your belongings inside your property?

I know insurance covers my home's physical structure, but what about the things inside?

Yes, you have coverage on your policy that is specifically for your belongings called “Coverage C”. This coverage type is also called “personal property coverage” and it covers things like furniture, electronics, and clothing. However, it does not cover everything and there are payout limits for certain belongings, including jewelry, watches, fur, artwork, and firearms, just to name a few. So you should check with your insurance agent to make sure you have all the coverage you need on your policy.
Savannah Grabek
Answered on Mar 01, 2021
Savannah Grabek is an expert in Personal Lines insurance. She has 5 years experience in the insurance industry. Savannah began her carrier working with just property insurance and is now tenured in all personal line including home, auto, motorcycle, boat and umbrella. She previously worked for GEICO and has now been working with Jerry insurance for the past year. Savannah lives in New York with her son, fiancé, and puppy Bear. In her free time she enjoys spending quality time with her family and hiking with her dog.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free