Do I need to keep my American car insurance to drive during return trips to the U.S.?

I'll be moving to Japan soon. But on return trips to the U.S. to visit family, I'll need to borrow my parents' car occasionally. Do I need to keep my current auto insurance policy so I can use my parents' car?

As long as your parents’ insurance policy doesn’t exclude you specifically, then you’ll be able to drive your parents’ car without having your own policy. Insurance follows the vehicle, not the driver.
If you ever move back to the US and buy your own car, your parents might ask you to get your own policy. This may sound daunting, especially if you’re under the age of 25. Luckily, there are several ways to get save money on car insurance.
The easiest way to find these discounts is to use Jerry, a free app that finds you quotes from 50 top insurance providers, saving you time and money.
Alexah Grinnell
Answered on Aug 05, 2021
Alexah Grinnell has been working in the insurance industry for 5 years with a primary focus of coverage consulting in the sales department. She has been working for Jerry Insurance since July of 2019 and has also has experience working for AAA and State Farm. She currently lives in Rochester, NY with her husband and 3 kids

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free