Do I need a California driver's license to obtain insurance for a car registered in California?

Answered by Home Insurance, Car Insurance Expert Alexah on February 22, 2021

I have a car that is registered in California, but my license is from New Jersey (where I lived before moving to California). Is that going to stop me from getting insurance?

expert avatar


Home Insurance, Car Insurance Expert

Thanks for your question! To legally register a vehicle in California, you need to be able to provide proof that the vehicle is insured in California. You don’t necessarily need a CA license, but not every carrier will provide you with insurance in California if you have a license from out of state.

Car Insurance

Have an insurance question?

Our insurance agents are ready to help you, for free.

Ask your question, it’s 100% free
Thousands of customers saved on average $887/year on their car insurance with Jerry
This app is great, but the customer service is even better! Not to mention convenient! My husband and I got the lowest rate (much lower than the rates I was finding online through my own searches), quickly, and pretty much all through text message! Thank you so much for a hassle free experience👍
Gabriella R.
Find savings (100% Free)
stars4.6/5 Rating on App Store