Declaring stolen cash in a claim

Answered by Home Insurance, Car Insurance Expert Savannah on December 28, 2020

My car was broken into and the thief took some cash that was left in a bag in the backseat. Can I claim that cash through my auto insurance?

expert avatar


Home Insurance, Car Insurance Expert

Sorry to hear about your lost money. When personal property is stolen from your car, it is typically not covered by your auto policy. Instead, you need property insurance for this kind of loss. Property insurance can be found in homeowners or renters policies. However, it can be hard to prove that money was taken, and most property policies have a payout limit for stolen cash. Typically this limit falls around $200.

Car Insurance

Have an insurance question?

Our insurance agents are ready to help you, for free.

Ask your question, it’s 100% free
Thousands of customers saved on average $887/year on their car insurance with Jerry
This app is great, but the customer service is even better! Not to mention convenient! My husband and I got the lowest rate (much lower than the rates I was finding online through my own searches), quickly, and pretty much all through text message! Thank you so much for a hassle free experience👍
Gabriella R.
Find savings (100% Free)
stars4.6/5 Rating on App Store