As an out-of-state college student, where do I get car insurance?

I have Nevada car insurance, but I’m moving to California for college. I’ll return to Nevada when school's out. Where am I supposed to get insurance?

Answer provided by
Savannah Grabek
Answered on Mar 12, 2021
You are able to keep the insurance in Nevada because your primary residence is still going to be located in that state. You just want to make sure you carry the correct limits on your policy.
California has a minimum limit for your bodily injury of 15/30 ($15,000 for injury or death to one person; $30,000 for injury or death to more than one person) and $5,000 for property damage. As long as your limits are above that amount, you are fine to keep your Nevada policy.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies