As a soldier, can I keep my car insurance policy in my resident state or do I have to switch my insurance to where I'm stationed?

I completed boot camp in Texas (my resident state) and moved to Maryland. I have car insurance through a Texas policy. Since I'm in the military, can I keep my Texas policy or do I have to switch my insurance to where I'm stationed? I want to buy a car in Maryland so it would have Maryland plates.

Since you’ve moved to a different state and are now living in that state, it’s recommended that you change your car insurance to where you’re stationed.
Every state has different rules regarding what’s required for car insurance, and you want to make sure that you have the proper coverage. However, if you return to Texas for a time but your primary home stays in Maryland, you can keep your policy in Maryland.
Luckily, the Jerry app can help you find the best deal for your new policy in Maryland, and best of all, it’s free.
Savannah Grabek
Answered on Aug 05, 2021
Savannah Grabek is an expert in Personal Lines insurance. She has 5 years experience in the insurance industry. Savannah began her carrier working with just property insurance and is now tenured in all personal line including home, auto, motorcycle, boat and umbrella. She previously worked for GEICO and has now been working with Jerry insurance for the past year. Savannah lives in New York with her son, fiancé, and puppy Bear. In her free time she enjoys spending quality time with her family and hiking with her dog.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free