Am I entitled to compensation after arson damaged a truck with liability-only insurance?

My neighbor's car caught on fire in a suspected case of arson. The fire also spread to my truck, which was parked right by the car. I have liability-only coverage on my truck because it's an older model. Am I entitled to any compensation in this situation?

Answer provided by
Shannon Martin
Answered on Feb 22, 2021
Sorry to hear about your situation. You are not entitled to any compensation from your insurance company or your neighbor in this situation. The first thing you should do is file a police report right away. If the authorities are able to identify who started the original fire, you could seek compensation from them directly or through the court system.
That being said, it’s always good to keep comprehensive coverage on your vehicle, even as it ages and loses value. Comprehensive insurance covers physical damage to your car caused by things such as fire, wind, hail, flood, theft, vandalism, falling objects, and collisions with animals. (You’d be surprised by the damage a wild turkey can do to a car and how often that actually happens!) The best part is, this is usually an inexpensive form of coverage that gets cheaper as the vehicle gets older.
If you’d like to learn more about comprehensive coverage, check out this article:

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies