After a chain-reaction accident, should I pay for damage to the front of my car?

In an accident, I hit a truck in front of me first and then was hit from behind. I filed a claim with the insurer of the driver who hit me from behind. The adjuster said because I hit the truck in front of me first, I should pay for the damage to the front of my car. Is this correct?

Multi-car accidents are sometimes very difficult to sort out. In most jurisdictions, there is some shared responsibility between the parties.
Since you hit the truck in front of you before the car hit you from behind, you would be responsible for the damage to the front of your car. The person who hit you would be responsible for the damage done to the back of your vehicle.
Jackie Whalen
Answered on Mar 12, 2021
Jackie Whalen has been in the insurance industry for over 7 years, working in sales, service and claims. She has won numerous awards as a top salesperson and customer service agent. She currently lives in New York with her husband. Her 24 year old son recently moved out on his own which has given her more time to travel, write and train her dog Maisy not to chase her cat, Whiskey.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Let Jerry’s experts help you find savings on your car insurance!
No long forms or spam · Get quotes from 40+ carriers
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
4.7/5 Rating on App Store