How do you clean salt out of car floor mats?
I took my car to the beach with some friends and everyone tracked in loads of saltwater. Everything dried off, but now there’s salt everywhere! What’s the best way to clean salt out of your car floor mats?
Trips to the beach are fun, but getting sand and salt out of your car afterward is a pain. Luckily, you can follow these steps to start cleaning salt out of your car floor mats:
- Use a nylon brush to loosen dried salt and break apart any clumps
- Vacuum the salt off your carpet
Once you finish vacuuming, follow these steps to clean any remaining salt stains with a mixture of water and either vinegar or dish soap:
- Step 1: Prep your mixture by either mixing a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water in a spray bottle or combining a ½ teaspoon of liquid dish soap with a cup of water.
- Step 2: Spray the stain with your vinegar or soapy solution. If you used vinegar, give it a thorough spray, then leave it. If you used soap, rub the solution into the rug with a soft-bristled brush or an old toothbrush.
- Step 3: Let it soak in for two or three minutes if you used vinegar or two to three hours if you used soap.
- Step 4: Rinse the area by dabbing it with a wet cloth until the vinegar or soap residue is gone.
- Step 5: Blot the area dry with a new towel. Then open the windows to let it air out and dry on its own.
If you finished that process, then congratulations! Your car floor mats should be stain-free. Next time you go to the beach, take preventive measures like having your friends dry off before they get in the car or installing rubber weather-proof mats.
If you’d rather have your mats professionally cleansed, start saving on car insurance with the Jerry app to offset the price. As a licensed broker, Jerry can help you find and compare quotes from over 50 top providers in minutes. When you find a better rate, Jerry can help you switch policies and even cancel your old one!
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do you clean a car AC system?
What’s the best way to clean my car’s air conditioning system? The cabin is getting musty, and it smells even worse whenever I turn on the AC. I think the time has come for me to clean it out, but I don’t know where to start.
Nov 23, 2021
How long should I trickle charge my car battery for?
What’s a safe amount of time to trickle charge my electric car’s battery? I’m putting my car away for the winter, and I want to make sure the battery life doesn’t drop. I’ve heard trickle chargers can help, but I feel weird keeping the car plugged in for months!
Nov 23, 2021
How do you clean pee out of car seats?
I just adopted a puppy, and he’s a handful! I took him to the vet for a quick checkup, and he peed all over my partner’s lap and seat. I’m afraid it will leave a stain! What’s the best way to get pee out of cloth car seats?
Nov 23, 2021