35 States Quietly Received $7.5 Billion to Help Build National EV Charging Network

Learn more about the $7.5 billion in state funding that 35 states have already tapped into, and what, along with constructing a network of EV charging stations, happens next.
Written by Jason Crosby
Reviewed by Kathleen Flear
Oct 15, 2022
President Biden recently announced that 35 states were set to receive $7.5 billion in order to begin building a national EV charging network. His words came at the perfect time, in a speech delivered
at the Detroit Auto Show
—the city that’s always lain at the heart of the U.S. automotive industry. The U.S. has had EV charging stations for almost a decade, but how will Biden’s new initiatives help jumpstart a national transition toward EVs? 
And even if you haven’t made the switch to an EV yet, Jerry can help you find the perfect
car insurance
policy to fit your lifestyle and budget. What are you waiting for? 

All 50 states could help build a national EV charging network—but only 35 have been approved

Green Car Reports
notes that every state submitted the proper research to the government in order to be eligible for funding, but so far, only 35 are receiving money. That doesn’t mean the 15 states that were left out are out of luck, but the Departments of Transportation and Energy may need more from them in order to pass out cash. 
Biden’s speech also highlighted that the U.S. is aiming to create 500,000 new stations as part of the national EV charging network. Despite the fact that more than two thirds of U.S. states will begin building chargers with the federal government’s oversight, this represents only one step of the whole plan. 

What’s next after each state helps build the network?

Once the charging stations are implemented, a national database will be constructed—a system that tracks efficiency, location, average use, and other performance indicators associated with the national EV charging network. 
About a quarter of the project’s money will go toward creating EV infrastructure in underserved and rural communities. The money won’t be given to each state all at once, though, and not every state receives the same amount of money. 

Why aren’t states receiving equal amounts of money to build the national EV charging network? 

As is often the case with politics, the amount of funding that a state receives is likely due to lobbying efforts, along with the geographical location and size of the state or territory. For example,
California
will receive $384 million, Texas will get $407 million, and Puerto Rico is set to be given $13.7 million in total. 
Though it sounds like the government is paying for the total cost of building the national EV charging network, these funds are only covering 80% of the building fees. The other 20% is expected to be paid for by the state or by a private party. 

Find an EV insurance policy that fits your needs, with help from Jerry

You’re not going to receive any money from President Biden to pay your insurance premiums—but don’t feel left out. With the
Jerry
app, you might be able to significantly reduce the cost of insuring your EV. Spend less time worrying about your coverage, and more time enjoying yourself behind the wheel. Find out how much Jerry could help you save today.
icon
Compare Car Insurance Quotes For Free
Jerry automatically shops for your insurance before every renewal. Members save $872/year.
rating primary
4.7/5
Rating on App Store
Start saving money!
12,000+ Reviews
Trusted by 3.5M car owners like you
National General
Allstate
AAA
Aig
Chubb
ClearCover
CSE
Dairyland
DirectAuto
Elephant Auto Insurance
Kemper
Libertymutual
Gainsco
Mapfre
Mercury Auto
Metromile
Nationwide
Plymouth Rock
Progressive
State Auto
Safeco
Travelers
Metlife
Bristol West
National General
Allstate
AAA
Aig
Chubb
ClearCover
CSE
Dairyland
DirectAuto
Elephant Auto Insurance
Kemper
Libertymutual
Gainsco
Mapfre
Mercury Auto
Metromile
Nationwide
Plymouth Rock
Progressive
State Auto
Safeco
Travelers
Metlife
Bristol West

You might also be interested

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

√
No long forms
√
No spam or unwanted phone calls
√
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free