How to Get a Wisconsin Handicap Placard (and Who’s Eligible)

Wisconsin drivers must display their disabled parking identification permit from the rearview mirror when parked in an accessible spot.
Written by Tiffany Leung
Reviewed by Jessica Barrett
To comply with
disability parking regulations, drivers must show their Disabled Parking Identification permit when parked in an accessible parking spot, regardless of the type. The placard should be hung from your rearview mirror when parked and removed before driving. The Wisconsin handicap placard may only be used in cars transporting the eligible individual.
If you are part of the 11.8% of Wisconsinites living with a disability, you may be eligible for a Disabled Parking Identification (DIS ID) permit or license plate to lawfully use these parking spaces. The regulations for using accessible parking places can vary drastically between states. Being familiar with the rules in your own state would be beneficial to avoid any penalties for misusing these spots.
We've gathered all the information to help you learn the requirements for a DIS ID permit and what you need to do to get one.

How to get a disabled parking placard or plate in Wisconsin

In Wisconsin, you must display your DIS ID from the rearview mirror any time you are parking in an accessible spot. It must be removed before you operate the vehicle so it doesn’t obstruct your view. 
There are two types of DIS ID permits:
  • Temporary permit (red)—valid for six months maximum
  • Permanent certificate (blue)—valid for four years
All DIS ID permits will have the International Symbol of Access—which you’ll likely recognize as a blue-and-white stick figure in a wheelchair. However, whether you use a wheelchair or not, your eligibility for a permit will not be affected if you have one of the conditions listed below.
Another alternative is to obtain a disabled parking license plate for your vehicle. However, this limits its use to one vehicle so it may be less practical. If you drive or are transported in several vehicles, getting a DIS ID permit would be more beneficial since you can move it around.

Who’s eligible for a disabled parking placard?

You are eligible for a DIS ID permit if you are certified by an authorized healthcare specialist to have one or more of the following conditions:
  • You need to rest when walking less than 200 feet
  • You need assistance from another person, brace, cane, crutch, etc, to walk
  • You have a lung disease that causes shortness of breath
  • You need to carry and use a portable oxygen tank
  • You have a cardiac condition with class III or class IV severity
  • You have an arthritic, neurological or orthopedic condition that limits your walking ability
A temporary disability would include a broken foot from dropping something heavy on it. Since you will have difficulty walking without any aids before it recovers, you would be eligible for a temporary DIS ID permit
A permanent disability would include having severe asthma that limits your mobility and causes shortness of breath if you walk too much. In this case, you would be eligible for a permanent DIS ID permit.

How to apply

Depending on whether you are applying for a temporary or permanent DIS ID permit, you will need to ask an authorized healthcare specialist to fill in a portion of the following:
Although the application process is relatively straightforward, it’s important to fill in all the required details completely and correctly. Any missing information could result in your application being rejected and you would have to re-submit it.
In the applicant section, you will need to fill in your identifying information, including your legal name, gender,
Wisconsin driver’s license
number, date of birth, address, contact number, and signature. You will also need to indicate what you are applying for:
  • An original permit
  • A replacement, permit number, reason for replacement
The eligibility section must be completed and signed by an authorized healthcare specialist licensed to practice in any state. Their name, medical license number, address, and contact number will need to be provided as well. Specialists can also certify your disability at
Any applicable fees must be paid by check or money order and made payable to the Registration Fee Trust. Include this payment when you mail your application to:
Special Plates Unit – DIS ID
P O Box 7306,
, WI 53707-7306
Be sure to make a copy of your form and keep it with you, as any traffic officer can request to inspect it.

Renewing a disabled parking plate

Permanent permits must be renewed every four years using the MV2548 form. You will also need to have your disability recertified.
Temporary permits expire after six months. If your disability extends beyond the six-month validity, submit a new application to retain your temporary permit.
Key Takeaway An authorized healthcare specialist needs to certify your disability before you send in your application for a temporary or permanent DIS ID permit and renewals.

Guidelines for veterans with disabilities

Disabled veterans with the conditions listed above can apply for disabled veteran parking license plates. However, they must be certified by an authorized VA healthcare specialist as having a permanent service-related disability.
Veterans and their VA healthcare specialists must complete the
U.S. Disabled Veteran Parking License Plates Application
(MV2171) and mail it to:
Special Plates Unit – DIS ID
P O Box 7306, Madison, WI 53707-7306


No—to renew your disability parking certificate, you must mail your application to WisDOT. However, healthcare specialists can certify your disability online.
There is no cost for a permanent DIS ID permit. However, there is a $6 fee for a temporary permit.
Are you overpaying for car insurance?
Compare quotes and find out in 45 seconds.
Try Jerry (It’s 100% Free)

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free