How To Get a Pennsylvania Motorcycle License

To get your Class M license in Pennsylvania, you’ll go through a process similar to getting a standard driver’s license.
Written by Cassandra Hamilton
Reviewed by Jessica Barrett
To legally operate a motorcycle in Pennsylvania, you need a Class M license. You’ll need to pass a vision test, a knowledge test, hold a learner’s permit, and pass a skills evaluation to get this license.
If you can’t resist the call of the hog, you’re probably considering getting a motorcycle. From the rolling piedmont region to the ridges and valleys of the Appalachian mountains, Pennsylvania makes for a beautiful state to experience from the back of a motorcycle. But if you live in Pennsylvania, you’ll need a special license in order to legally operate a chopper.
Getting your motorcycle license in Pennsylvania is similar to getting a driver’s license: you need to pass a series of tests, pay some fees, and provide proof of identity. It’s a time-consuming process, but it’s worth it to be able to ride your precious motorcycle.
Here to walk you through the steps of getting a Class M Pennsylvania driver’s license is the
licensed insurance broker
super app,
. We’ll talk about what you need to get a Class M license, where you can go to learn how to drive a motorcycle, and ways you can save on your
Pennsylvania car insurance costs
with Jerry.
Make safe driving pay
Get rewarded for safe driving. Earn points and unlock benefits. Totally free.
Start earning now

Do you need a license to operate a motorcycle in Pennsylvania?

Yes—if you want to drive a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle in Pennsylvania, you need a Class M driver’s license and to be at least 16 years old.

How to get a Class M Pennsylvania driver’s license

Pennsylvania is unlike other states in that it requires a separate license to operate motorcycles rather than an endorsement on your existing license. If you already have a Class C driver’s license, you still need to get a Class M driver’s license before you can ride on just two or three wheels. 
It’s a time-consuming process—you need to pass a vision and knowledge test, get a Class M learner’s permit, and schedule a skills test. You might even need to undergo special training through a
Motorcycle Safety Program
. You can
follow this link
to find a training location—note that not every location offers training and skills evaluations on motorcycles with three wheels.
Your Class M learner’s permit is valid for one year. If you haven’t passed the skills test in that amount of time, you’ll have to reapply and start the process again. You can schedule your skills test at any time, or you can get it waived by undergoing a skills evaluation by a licensed Rider Coach through the Motorcycle Safety Program. 
Don’t forget to pay all your fees so you can get your Class M license. Fees include:
  • Learner’s permit fee: $10
  • Initial Motorcycle Permit and four-year license: $45.50
  • Initial Motorcycle Permit and four-year license (65+): $35
You also need to provide proof of identity just like you would when applying for a Class C driver’s license. You’ll need:
  • Birth certificate or certificate of citizenship or certificate of naturalization or valid passport
  • Two pieces of residency proof (tax records, W2, utility bills, lease agreement, mortgage paperwork, etc)
  • Your Social Security card
Once you’ve paid your fees, passed your skills test, and provided all your paperwork, you’re ready to get your Class M driver’s license. Congratulations!
rating reverse-full
"I’m earning
awesome rewards
every week, just for driving safe!”

Restrictions on your Class M license

A Class M license isn’t carte blanche to drive any vehicle with two or three wheels. If you drive a motor-driven cycle or take a test on a three-wheeled motorcycle, you’ll be issued a restriction on your Class M license.
A motor-driven cycle is a vehicle that has brakes that measure five or less in horsepower. A good example is a Vespa scooter. If you test on a scooter like this, you’ll be given an “8” restriction on your Class M license, meaning you are not qualified to drive a motorcycle.
If you test on a three-wheeled motorcycle, you’ll be given a “9” restriction, which means you cannot drive a motorcycle with two wheels. 
If you test on a standard two-wheeled motorcycle, you won’t be given any restrictions. 

How to save on car and motorcycle insurance in Pennsylvania

Car insurance
doesn’t come cheap in Pennsylvania, which heightens the appeal of driving a motorcycle as an alternative—especially since the required
motorcycle insurance
is often less expensive than car insurance. 
If you’re like most motorcycle riders though, you probably also have a car, and paying for both types of insurance can add up quickly. That’s why
, the
licensed insurance broker
app, is here to help you save on the costs of your car insurance.
All you have to do is fill out your information, let Jerry work its magic, and browse the handful of specifically-picked quotes. Once you’ve made your choice, Jerry handles the paperwork and even helps you cancel your old policy—and you’ll be left with savings that average $800 per year or more
Are you overpaying for your car insurance?
Compare quotes and find out in 45 seconds.
No spam or unwanted phone calls · No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls · No long forms · No fees
icon4.717k Ratings
5M+Drivers Joined
7M+Cars Garaged


No, you need a special Class M license to legally operate a motorcycle in Pennsylvania.
The amount of time it takes to get a Class M license varies. The timeline depends on how long it takes for you to learn the necessary skills and pass your skills test.
No, you need motorcycle insurance to drive a motorcycle in Pennsylvania. Jerry can help you add this type of coverage to your existing policy when you text your agent.
Are you overpaying for car insurance?
Compare quotes and find out in 45 seconds.
Try Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings