How To Get a Minnesota Motorcycle License

You must have the proper endorsement on your Minnesota driver’s license in order to legally operate a motorcycle.
Written by Amber Reed
Reviewed by Jessica Barrett
Getting a motorcycle license in Minnesota requires taking both a knowledge and a riding skills test, and, if you’re under 18 years of age, completing a Basic Rider Course.
Dying to recreate all those iconic Minnesota Purple Rain motorcycle scenes? We get it! But before you don your puffy blouse and speed off into the night, you’ll need to get a motorcycle license endorsement first. Don’t worry, it’s not hard when you have
by your side!
Come along with the top-rated
car insurance
shopping app and broker, Jerry, as we take a look at what it takes to get a motorcycle license in Minnesota. We’ll go over your options, tell you where to start, and also show you how to find cheap
car insurance in Minnesota
for your ride.
Are you getting ripped off on your car insurance? Find out in less than two minutes.
No long forms · No spam · No fees
Find insurance savings
4.7/5 Rating on App Store

Do you need a license to operate a motorcycle in Minnesota?

Yes. To legally operate a motorcycle in Minnesota, you need to have the proper endorsement added to your Minnesota driver’s license. 
You’ll need to be at least 16 years old and already have a valid driver’s license
Make safe driving pay
Get rewarded for safe driving. Earn points and unlock benefits. Totally free.
Start earning now

How to add a motorcycle endorsement to your Minnesota driver’s license

There’s no option to just get a motorcycle license in Minnesota, so you’ll need to have a valid Minnesota driver’s license first. The other steps you’ll need to take vary depending on your age. 
If you are under 18 years old, here’s what you’ll need to do: 
And voila! A motorcycle endorsement is all yours—congratulations! Remember that if you’re under 18, Minnesota law requires that you wear an approved helmet when you’re operating your motorcycle. 
If you’re 18 years of age or older, the process is just a little different. 
You won’t be required to take the BRC, but if you do, then you won’t have to take the riding skills test at a Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Service office. Without the class, you’ll need to pass both the knowledge test and the riding skills test. Upon completion of those, you pay your fees and you’re ready to go. 
Wearing a helmet is optional if you are 18 or older in Minnesota, but it’s strongly recommended that you do so. No matter what age you are, Minnesota law does require that you wear eye protection when you are operating a motorcycle. A windshield doesn’t count—it must be a face shield, goggles, or glasses. 
rating reverse-full
"I’m earning
awesome rewards
every week, just for driving safe!”

How to save on car and motorcycle insurance in Minnesota

Motorcycle riders in Minnesota don’t have to carry as much insurance as those who drive cars, but they still have to have basic liability coverage. So the good news is that if you only need
motorcycle insurance
, it’s generally
cheaper than car insurance
is the best way out there to get fantastic savings on your
car insurance
, but we can help out with your motorcycle coverage as well! After you’ve downloaded the top-rated app, just text one of the friendly Jerry agents with some basic info about your motorcycle, and they’ll get to work finding you a selection of great policies to choose from. 
No matter what kind of car or motorcycle you have or where you live, you can count on super app Jerry to get you the coverage you need at the lowest possible price. On average, drivers who get car insurance through the Jerry app save an average of $800 a year
Jerry automatically checks if you are paying the lowest price for your insurance, for free.
Instantly compare top insurance companies
No spam or unwanted phone calls · No long forms
What insurance do you want to compare?


Yes. You must pass a motorcycle knowledge test in Minnesota. In addition, there is a rider skills test, but that can be waived if you complete the appropriate educational course.
Operating a motorcycle without the proper endorsement in Minnesota can result in up to 90 days in jail and/or fines of up to $1,000. In addition, you also risk having your motorcycle towed and impounded.
No. While the requirements are a little lower than for a car, you are still required to have bodily injury and property liability insurance as a Minnesota motorcyclist.
Are you overpaying for car insurance?
Compare quotes and find out in 45 seconds.
Try Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings