WHY YOU CAN TRUST JERRY
Jerry partners with more than 50 insurance companies, but our content is independently researched, written, and fact-checked by our team of editors and agents. We aren’t paid for reviews or other content.
By Rob Shapiro
Updated on Jun 1, 2022
Reviewed by Melanie Reiff, Staff Editor.
If your car shows a B0083 engine code, a problem has been detected with the inflatable restraint front end sensor. The front end sensor communicates the status to the Restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM) and a fault has been found and needs to be repaired.
Diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) help car owners and mechanics identify problems within a car’s vital systems. It might seem confusing, but all drivers should have a basic understanding of what these engine codes mean. This way they can ensure that their car is always road safe.
Jerry, car insurance comparison and broker app, has all the important information you need to know about DTCs. We are also fully equipped to find you the best deal on car insurance. In this article, we’ll explore the B0083 engine code, including what it means, how to repair it, and how much it might cost you to fix.
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
Let Jerry find your price in only 45 seconds
No spam · No long forms · No fees
What does the engine code B0083 mean?
Definition: Front End Sensor 1
The B0083 engine code alerts you to an issue with the inflatable restraint front end sensor. This sensor is also responsible for sending ID, deployment commands, and the state of health to the Restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM).
How much will it cost to fix?
It takes about one hour of labor to diagnose the issue stemming from the B0083 engine code. Most mechanics charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
The repair cost will depend on what course of action is taken based on the inspection and diagnosis.
What can cause the B0083 engine code?
The B0083 engine code signals a problem with the Front End Sensor 1.
The common causes behind the B0083 engine code are:
- Faulty Front End Sensor 1
- Front End Sensor 1 harness is open or shorted
- Front End Sensor 1 circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Inflatable Restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM)
Common symptoms of the B0083 engine code
The only symptom from the B0083 engine code may be the Airbag Warning Light turning on.
How serious is the B0083 engine code?
This engine code is a serious one and should be immediately fixed. By tending to it right away, you can avoid driving an unsafe car and having the problem worsen over time.
Can I fix the B0083 engine code myself?
You can perform these repairs yourself if you are comfortable doing so. Start by doing the following:
- Inspect the related wiring harness and connectors.
- Inspect for components that are damaged and connector’s pins that are corroded, broken, pushed out, or bent.
Make sure you take the below precautions to avoid injury:
- Do not probe the electrical connectors on the seat belts, airbag, or side air curtain modules.
- Do not disassemble or tamper with the adaptive load limiting retractors, safety belt buckle/retractor pretensioners, safety belt inflators, or probe the electrical connectors.
- Never check SRS circuits by using electrical test equipment unless specifically instructed to in the service manual.
- Prior to servicing the SRS, make sure you turn the ignition switch OFF and disconnect both battery cables and then wait for a minimum of three minutes. This is important because, for about three minutes after the cables have been taken off, the airbag and seat belt pre-tensioner could still deploy.
You deserve affordable car insurance
The job of Jerry, a licensed insurance broker, is to find you the right car insurance coverage. Jerry does this by finding quotes from 50+ top insurance companies. Sign-up is quick and easy, taking less than 45 seconds. Just download the app, answer some simple questions, and then let Jerry help you save on insurance!
Jerry users get to take advantage of an average savings of $887 annually on their car insurance!
“I had a great experience using Jerry for the first time. Once my boyfriend buys his new car, we’ll use Jerry together to make sure he doesn’t end up overpaying on new insurance!” —Stephanie S.
Compare auto insurance policies
No spam or unwanted phone calls · No long forms · No fees, ever