If your speedometer is not working, a mechanic should inspect to determine if they must fix a broken speed sensor, a faulty fuse or bad wiring, or a malfunctioning engine control unit (ECU).
A speedometer is critical to ensuring you can drive safely. That’s why car insurance super app Jerry has created this quick guide breaking down all you need to know about a speedometer is not working inspection.
The exact cost varies between different Land rover models. For example, newer vehicle models are usually made with more expensive materials, so recent or high-end models will cost more, especially if your service requires a part replacement. Use the table below to estimate the cost for your own vehicle.
What is a speedometer is not working inspection?
A speedometer calculates the speed of the vehicle while it’s in operation. When the speedometer fails to capture and relay this information, your driving becomes a danger to yourself and others.
A speedometer is not working inspection should cover:
- Broken speed sensor: One of the purposes of the speed sensor is to indicate the vehicle’s speed, which helps regulate fuel flow, ignition timing, and cruise control.
- Faulty fuse or bad wiring: Exposed wires often short out—especially when driving in wet conditions—and can result in a blown fuse. If a speedometer’s fuse malfunctions, the speedometer will remain at zero.
- Malfunctioning ECU: The ECU is a car’s brain and is responsible for monitoring various aspects of its operation, including its speed. If the ECU is malfunctioning, it may lose its ability to identify the speed of the vehicle.
How to service a speedometer is not working inspection
A speedometer is not working inspection might look something like this:
- A mechanic will start by inspecting the vehicle with a code reader/scanner to review error codes that came from the car. This will also help them determine what components might have failed.
- If the speed sensor has malfunctioned, the mechanic will locate the sensor and then examine it and the wires for any surface damage. Then, the old sensor will be removed and a new one will be installed.
- If the issue is the fuse or a faulty wire, the mechanic will replace either or both of these parts.
- If the ECU is the problem, then the repair might include replacing the whole unit. They might first try to reset it, but this is often only a band-aid solution.
How important is a speedometer is not working inspection?
By all accounts, this inspection is very important. Driving without knowing your speed is incredibly reckless and dangerous—and could cause an accident.
If your speedometer is not working, you should call your mechanic right away to book an appointment.
Upgrade to affordable insurance
Your speedometer needs to be working for your car to be safe to drive. Once you’ve had this issue inspected and fixed, it’s a good idea to review your car insurance.
Jerry, the comparison shopping app, will find you the right coverage at the most affordable price. All you have to do is download the app and take 45 seconds to sign up. From there, Jerry will get you quotes from 50+ providers based on your insurance needs and handle the paperwork to finalize your new policy.
Keep in mind that your location is another factor that determines the final cost of repairs. Areas with higher cost of living will usually have more expensive car repair services, especially if there’s less local competition. Check out the table below for an estimate of what Land rover drivers pay in different cities.
Jerry doesn’t just offer fair price repair estimates for Land rover drivers! Our team of writers has collected everything you need to know for every car. Here’s how much the repair costs for some popular cars:
|Car||Total Cost Estimate||Parts Cost||Labor Cost||Average Dealer Price||Estimated Service Duration|
The cost of repairs might vary depending on which Land rover you drive, but there’s an easy way to save money for the services you need! Just download the Jerry app for help lowering your insurance premiums. In less than 45 seconds, Jerry collects all of your information from your existing insurer. Choose from competitive quotes from top insurance companies and Jerry takes care of the rest—securing your new policy and helping you cancel your old one upon request.
With an average annual savings of $887, Jerry can help you free up funds for the repairs your Land rover’s needs.